Health Professional Resources
We recommend physiotherapists with an interest in ankylosing spondylitis contact AStretch. This is a group of physiotherapists from around the UK who meet to improve the understanding of AS.
Physiotherapist guides to axial spondyloarthritis
A series of guides aimed at physiotherapists working with axial spondyloarthritis.
You can download all 4 guides. If you would rather receive hard copies please contact Laura Garbari.
- Differentiating inflammatory and mechanical back pain
- What is axial spondyloarthritis? How does it apply to physiotherapists?
- Assessing the signs, symptoms and clinical manifestations of axial SpA
- The treatment of axial spondylorthritis
The set of measurements used to assess disease activity in patients. Click here to read more.
Standardising the Bath AS Metrology Index (BASMI): a DVD guide on how to carry out these measurements accurately.
Produced by Liz van Rossen MCSP, Extended Scope Practitioner in Rheumatology Physiotherapy, East Kent Hospital University Trust.
CD-ROM which includes all the resources to run a successful Back Pain Seminar in your area. The Seminar aims to improve understanding of inflammatory vs. mechanical back pain in primary care and increase appropriate referrals to rheumatology. Read more about what is available here.
You can call the NASS office on 0208 741 1515 for a copy.
Patient Information Resources
This is the updated 2015 NASS guidebook. It provides a practical introduction to the treatment and management of ankylosing spondylitis, including axial SpA. We recommend giving it to all newly diagnosed patients and any established patients who are looking for more information on the condition.
How AS can affect work, talking about AS at work, staying well at work and rights at work.
It also includes a pull out sheet of important information on AS for patients to hand to their employer.
Explains anti TNF therapy in detail including the potential benefits and risks. The guide gives space for patients to write notes on their hopes and fears about anti TNF therapy and on their choice of anti TNF. Ideal to give to patients when anti TNF is first discussed so they can read more.
A practical guide to managing a flare. Contains space to write in information on AS, medications and stretches.
Leaflets available to order
Please use the form below to order copies of our leaflets.
- Driving and AS: Safe driving, the DVLA, Forum of Mobility Centres, the Motability scheme and the Blue Badge scheme.
- Fatigue and AS: What causes fatigue in AS and how it can be managed
- Uveitis and AS: Symptoms of uveitis and treatments
Helpline cards for patients
Order our business-card sized Helpline cards for patients.
Posters for AS clinics
We have a set of 3 A4 posters available to order.
Exercise for AS
Exercise is not just a useful addition to the management of AS. It is one of the cornerstones of treatment. Exercise helps in the maintenance of flexibility and good posture and also assists with pain management and wellbeing.
- Back to Action: A guide to exercising safely in the gym (pdf version). You can also buy a printed, spiral bound version in the NASS shop
- Back to Action App: We have an app for iPhones,iPads and android phones which you can download completely free of charge from iTunes or Google Play
- Fight Back: Our exercise DVD aimed at people with more advanced AS who want to exercise at home. It includes 6 exercise programmes with 35 individual exercises and contains hip safe exercises
- NASS offer regular physiotherapy and hydrotherapy sessions to people with AS through its network of branches
A twice yearly newsletter for people with AS providing the latest information on the research, treatment and management of AS. Ideal for AS clinics. AS News is free of charge to health professionals - put your name on the mailing list by completing the form at the bottom of the page
NASS branch network for hydrotherapy and physiotherapy
There are over 90 NASS branches providing regular physiotherapy and hydrotherapy sessions throughout the UK. Click here to view the list of NASS branches in the UK.
If you are interested in setting up a branch in your area please contact Laura Richards, our Branch Development Officerby email for information and assistance.