NEW! Axial spondyloarthritis factsheet
NASS supports health professionals with both professional resources and patient educational materials
We are continually improving and expanding our information resources. If you would like to receive free information or order any materials from NASS please complete our online form at the bottom of this page.
Health Professional Resources
We recommend physiotherapists with an interest in ankylosing spondylitis contact AStretch. This is a group of physiotherapists from around the UK who meet to improve the understanding of AS. They offer training courses.
Physiotherapist guides to axial spondyloarthritis
A series of guides aimed at physiotherapists working with axial spondyloarthritis.
A total of 4 guides are planned. You can download the first 3 guides. If you would rather receive hard copies please contact Jessica.
- Differentiating inflammatory and mechanical back pain
- What is axial spondyloarthritis? How does it apply to physiotherapists?
- Assessing the signs, symptoms and clinical manifestations of axial SpA
The set of measurements used to assess disease activity in patients. Click here to read more.
Standardising the Bath AS Metrology Index (BASMI): a DVD guide on how to carry out these measurements accurately.
Produced by Liz van Rossen MCSP, Extended Scope Practitioner in Rheumatology Physiotherapy, East Kent Hospital University Trust.
CD-ROM which includes all the resources to run a successful Back Pain Seminar in your area. The Seminar aims to improve understanding of inflammatory vs. mechanical back pain in primary care and increase appropriate referrals to rheumatology. Read more about what is available here.
You can call the NASS office on 0208 9489117 to get a copy of this CD-ROM.
Patient Information Resources
Guidebook for patients
The guidebook for patients is a practical introduction to the treatment and management of ankylosing spondylitis with useful advice on living and working with AS. We recommend handing it to all newly diagnosed patients and any established patients who are looking for more information on the condition.
Click here to view a copy online; or complete the order form below to receive free copies of the guidebook for your clinic.
Leaflets available to order (A5)
Please use the form below to order copies of our new A5 size leaflets on AS.
- Driving and AS: Safe driving, the DVLA, Forum of Mobility Centres, the Motability scheme and the Blue Badge scheme.
- Fatigue and AS: What causes fatigue in AS and how it can be managed
- Uveitis and AS: Symptoms of uveitis and treatments
- Axial spondyloarthritis
Helpline cards for patients
Order our business-card sized Helpline cards for patients. Order using the form below or contact the office on 020 8948 9117
Posters for AS clinics
We have a set of 3 A4 posters available to order.
Exercise for AS
Exercise is not just a useful addition to the management of AS. It is one of the cornerstones of treatment. Exercise helps in the maintenance of flexibility and good posture and also assists with pain management and wellbeing.
- Back to Action: A guide to exercising safely in the gym (pdf version). You can also buy a printed, spiral bound version in the NASS shop
- Back to Action App: We have now been able to produce an App for iPhones, iPod touches and iPads which you can download completely free of charge from the Apple Shop
- Fight Back: Our exercise DVD aimed at people with more advanced AS who want to exercise at home. It includes 6 exercise programmes with 35 individual exercises and contains hip safe exercises
- NASS offer regular physiotherapy and hydrotherapy sessions to people with AS through its network of branches
A twice yearly newsletter for people with AS providing the latest information on the research, treatment and management of AS. Ideal for AS clinics. AS News is free of charge to health professionals - put your name on the mailing list by completing the form at the bottom of the page
NASS branch network for hydrotherapy and physiotherapy
There are over 85 NASS branches providing regular physiotherapy and hydrotherapy sessions throughout the UK. Click here to view the list of NASS branches in the UK.
If you are interested in setting up a branch in your area please contact Maddy Randall, our Branch and Policy Development Manager on 020 8948 9117 or by email for information and assistance.