Physical branch meetings are currently cancelled due to COVID-19. However there are virtual activities being run by some branches. Please contact your local branch for more information.

We hope you find the information on these pages helpful. Our team is working tirelessly to provide up to date advice in relation to the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic. Record numbers of people are now turning to NASS for support, and we hope to be here for everyone. Our helpline and advice service are only possible thanks to donations from people like you.

If you are able to make a donation to NASS today, we'd be so grateful.


Disability benefits

Advice to help you navigate the UK benefits system

Guidance to help you navigate the complex UK benefits system

Thank you so so much, without support from you guys and the information, appealing such government organisation decisions would really be a daunting task.

NASS member provided with a PIP support letter in July 2019

If you need advice on what you could be claiming do contact a local Welfare Rights service such as Citizens Advice. If you call your local council and say you want help with welfare rights they will give you a local contact number.

NASS have access to a number of publications produced by an external agency covering a range of issues including:

  • Claiming PIP and appealing PIP decisions
  • Claiming ESA and appealing ESA decisions

These are all available free of charge to NASS members by contacting Garry Williams. Please specify which of the guides you would like to receive. Garry also writes supporting letters for NASS members exlaining the impact of living with axial SpA.

What an amazing organisation. So much great information. Special thank you to Garry for the letter for my ESA assessment. Made a huge difference.

NASS member provided with ESA claim support

If feel you need more advice when making a claim we recommend that you contact a Welfare Rights organisation which offer a free service. They will often provide you with assistance in filling out long forms correctly and will make sure you know what benefits are available to you.

If you do feel you have been unjustly turned down for a benefit then do appeal the decision. Use your closest Welfare Rights organisation and make sure you have our guide to appealing.

Learn more about disability benefits

Helpline Officer, Garry Williams, was interviewed by Senior Self-management Programme Officer, Zoë Clark:

NHS Low Income Scheme

If you are on a low income, the NHS Low Income Scheme could help you pay for things like prescription charges, dental treatment, the cost of sight tests and the cost of travelling to receive NHS treatment.

The amount of help you’re entitled to depends on your household income and outgoings.

Prescription prepayment certificate

A Prescription Payment Certificate (PPC) lets you get as many NHS prescriptions as you need for a set price. If you regularly pay prescription charges, a PPC could save you money. The prescription charge in England is £9.00 per item.

A PPC costs:

  • £29.10 for 3 months
  • £104 for 12 months

The quickest way to buy a PPC is to buy it online.


Read more