Working together to ensure access to aquatic physiotherapy and hydrotherapy for everyone who needs it.
We are a group of patient organisations, professional bodies and other organisations working together to ensure that we put aquatic physio and hydro at the centre of treatment options for all condition areas who need it.
What are the issues?
Hydrotherapy has been an undervalued form of treatment. Lack of evidence on the benefits and high running costs are often cited as the reasons for closing a pool. We want to change this.
What are we doing?
- Mapping the state of play – we are putting together a dashboard using the results of a Freedom of Information request which should help us understand what is happening around the UK, led by the Aquatic Therapy Association of Chartered Physiotherapists
- Gathering the evidence – too often we hear about the lack of evidence. We are gathering together the information that exists already and embarking on applications for new funding projects, led by Good Boost and Cardiff University
- Campaigning locally – the Chartered Society for Physiotherapy have developed materials for anyone to use, see below for more details
- Broadening our horizons – we are looking at alternatives including ideas around Hydro on the High Street and working closely with Swim England to promote local pools
- Parliamentary pressure – several members have been working with MPs to raise the profile of hydrotherapy locally and in parliament, with the Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Axial SpA asking a parliamentary question and securing a meeting with Health Minister Ed Argar
Is your service under threat?
The Chartered Society for Physiotherapy has worked on a page to help you to promote and campaign for your local hydrotherapy services. The page is in the form of FAQs designed follow a process for campaigning locally.
Would you like to join us?
If you and your organisation are passionate about aquatic physiotherapy and hydrotherapy, then join our movement and be the change that is needed. Email email@example.com for more details.